This is Ana Crespo's official blog.

I don't blog often. Most of what is going on in my career can be found through my official FB page and official Twitter account. But, every once in a while you will find something interesting in here. For more information about me and my work, visit my official website. Thanks for stopping by!

Monday, October 26, 2015

THE MONSTERS OF MERRY ST.

I have been away from my blog for a very, very long time, but I have had some guest posts on other blogs.  Here are some links:

A Sock Thief in the Making, posted on Latinos in KidLit, in February 2015
Brazilian Picture Books:  My Childhood, posted on the Albert Whitman Blog, in April 2015
Seven Reasons I Love Brazil, posted on the Albert Whitman Blog, in September 2015


However, the reason I am back is a pretty selfish one.  Susanna Leonard Hill has a fun Halloween Contest going on RIGHT NOW (find out more on her blog).  And it just so happens that her contest was the challenge I was looking for to improve my one and only Halloween story.  So, I got to work, reduced my manuscript to only 99 words, and am posting it below.  Fingers crossed for THE MONSTERS OF MERRY ST.

UPDATE:
Thank you to everyone who checked out the blog, read the story, and left encouraging comments.  I removed the story to edit it, possibly ADDING a few words.  Seriously, how often does a picture book writer get a chance to do that!?

Have a great day!

16 comments:

  1. Paul Tergeist! Haha! Well done, Ana!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a creepy street! And, I, too, love Paul Tergeist. Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So deliciously frightful, Ana. Perfect for Halloween - complete with a Paul Tergeist!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness...this is why we MUST read our stories out loud...I read it to myself, and didn't 'get it'...then I read it out loud...AHA! Frightfully frightful story,Ana...great job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great name for a character. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you everyone! It is so hard when you can't use illustation notes. I hope it is obvious that Paul is the ghost and that the monsters are the kids trick or treating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Paul and Grandpa's Place! Spooky. Hope you have a wonderful Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of course Grandpa lives in a cemetery. Loved this one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh...spooky! Puntastic name choice and overall great read-aloud Halloween story. Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, spooky! I got frightened at the end. Great twist.

    Happy Halloween!
    Don't get too scared. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha! Good play on words :) Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love Paul Tergeist - very clever! - and love that his Grandpa lived in the cemetery! :) Thanks so much for joining in the Halloweensie fun, Ana!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love Paul Tergeist! What a fun idea - and it IS hard in 100 words! Happy Halloweensie.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the twist that this is Merry Street.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you, everyone! I hope you guys had a super fun Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fun use of word and idea-love it :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I look forward to reading your message. Please, note that messages will be reviewed (NOT edited) before they are shown on the blog. Thanks for your understanding! Ana