This is Ana Crespo's official blog.

I don't blog often. Most of what is going on in my career can be found through my official FB page and official Twitter account. But, every once in a while you will find something interesting in here. For more information about me and my work, visit my official website. Thanks for stopping by!

Monday, October 14, 2013

Uxé, by Ana Crespo


These past few months have been super crazy. There were so many things to do and so many things to worry about.  My first book was on the verge of being published. It came out just last month. And, when I thought I could breathe, there was more stuff to do. So, I have a lot of news, but I am not going to blab about it all in one post. I decided to start with my first book, Uxé, published in Portuguese by Editora Outras Letras, in Rio de Janeiro, and illustrated by Giorgia Massetani.

In the 1890s, Uxé is a girl from the Pantanal region, who finds out her grandma is sick. Assuming it is white men’s fever, Uxé leaves the safety of her home and faces the dangers of the Pantanal to get medicine at the white men’s village. But Uxé will face more than just the physical dangers surrounding her; she will have to make decisions that could impact the outcome of her grandma’s illness. The book was written for kids 6 to 9 years old. It has approximately 1000 words and 40 pages.

The writing process was a learning experience in itself. My initial inspiration was the desire to make a Brazilian style Little Red Riding Hood. However, the story changed when it was reviewed by an expert in Brazilian indigenous culture. It was then that I started researching different people from the Pantanal, their history, their culture, and their language.

The inspiration for the new Uxé was the Guató, an indigenous people of the Pantanal, famous for their canoe-making skills. The Guató connection enriched the story and made it much more believable. But that would not have been possible if I hadn’t been lucky enough to find three experts in the Guató culture and their language.

The book is not yet available to the public. As soon as it is, I will mention it on its Facebook page: www.facebook.com/historiasdeuxe.