This is Ana Crespo's official blog.

I don't blog often. Most of what is going on in my career can be found through my official FB page and official Twitter account. But, every once in a while you will find something interesting in here. For more information about me and my work, visit my official website. Thanks for stopping by!

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Back from the Conference

After two days at the 2012 SCBWI Rocky Mountain Chapter Conference, I am back home. I must say that the Conference was amazing, but it does not compare to coming back home after these two days and having my 3-year old running to me screaming: “Mommy, mommy! I missed you, mommy!” Unfair competition, I know.

Seriously, I would certainly recommend that anyone interested in becoming a published children’s book author attend the SCBWI conferences. I have never been to the international conference and I hear it is very expensive, but I sure would love to attend it as well. Anyhow… As you must expect, I cannot really share any of the tips or details I heard during the conference due to copyright issues, but I can comment on how they affected my plans.

First of all, the most depressing effect of attending the conference was finding out I should not use my beautiful portfolio as a tool to market myself.  It turns out that only illustrators are supposed to have portfolios, but my cards were useful. I connected with a few people and have already sent two manuscripts out to editors and agents. I'm trying not to be too hopeful, but it is impossible to not be at least a bit hopeful. After all, one of the best things that I thought happened during the conference was when I had a one-page (18 lines) of one of my picture books quickly critiqued by an agent and an editor. The comments were actually positive, though there were a few concerns that needed to be addressed. You can only imagine how nervous, anxious, and sweaty I got when they read those 18 lines out loud in a room full of people, even though it was anonymous.  I also loved the session about Standout Picture Books and the tip about how to construct the plot. It has already helped me out.

Now, it is a matter of following up, fixing things, preparing manuscripts and continuing to pursue this dream. I have just started and have so much to learn; I do not plan on giving up any time soon. Keep your fingers crossed!